In occasion of my last medical visit to Vienna, I returned with half of my treatment and the promise that the other half will be mailed to me as soon as it arrives at the clinic.

Last week I received an email informing me that because of bureaucratic issues they could not send my medications by mail but could give it to someone who would commit to pick them up for me at the clinic and send them to me post. It seemed to me a rather risky move, considering the cost of my treatment, but my friend Lena, who lives in Vienna, in whom I put my trust in, because she is like a bigger sister to me, she helped me with this and then sent me the treatment through a carrier which we assumed that would arrive at Satu-Mare yesterday at 4 pm.

At 3 o’clock I called the driver to find out if he really arrived at 4 o’clock to Satu-Mare.

He said he would arrive arround 4 o’clock, but 4 o’clock in the morning!

Together with my mother, we woke up at 2.30 AM, we dressed, drank our coffees and ate the delicious oven backed pumpkin, that our neighbor in Carei, Carmen, brought us the night before and then we hit the road. We were slowly advancing because of the rain and the darkness but finally we have reached Satu-Mare. After we safely recovered the medicines, we paused briefly, then decided to return to Carei.

The relaxation and the joy that the medicines are safe with us vanished when, already beyond the city suburbs,  we got a flat tire and quickly started to look for help at the first gas station. There, a tall and handsome boy told us he could help us if we had a spare wheel. But we did not have one. We did not know we had one, because later we found out that we did. So he advised us, from his own experience, to go slowly to Carei, with with flat tire and all, because it’s safe enough since once, he also came from Baia-Mare to Carei on three wheels.

After a few miles of driving, the tire turned into strips that hit the body of the car as if we were followed by a horde of flaming zombies. We stopped and called a non-stop towing company. Of course no one answered the phone, so we waited in the car, and no matter how bizarre it would sound, we felt amused by the impossible situation we were in. Outside it was raining, and we were steaming the windows of the car, like in the famous scene in the Titanic, except that we were sitting and laughing every time we revised the scenario in which we were stuck at the moment.

We came up with the idea of ​​calling a friend who could help us, but out of respect for sleeping hours we waited until 5 o’clock. Shortly after we talked to him, we saw the lights of the white horsepower activated vehicle with which out knight in shinning armor  came to resque us from the darkness of the wet and cold night.

As if by magic, the rain stopped, letting him change our wheel in 15 minutes or less, without even being splashed up by the mud that the trucks were rising up, while passing by.

In the two hours we were left alone, on the roads, we did not get angry or despair, but on the contrary, not only did we take advantage of a few extra hours spent together, but also reflected on causality of the seemingly haphazard things that happen to us in life, and we came to the conclusion that maybe we were stuck on the road with a flat tire for a few hours, just to be protected from something much worse that could happen to us if things would have evolve otherwise.